Friday 1 June 2012

Race Review: VWS Trail Challenge

The Facts

Location: Deer Park, Vredehoek, Cape Town, South Africa (Table Mountain National Park)
Distance: 10km and 25km trail run
Surface: Mostly jeep track and one single track section
Website:  www.capefires.com
Organizer: Volunteer Wildfire Services
Cost: Cost is to support the Cape volunteer firefighters!

The Experience

Registration for the race was a simple two part process. Enter and pay online (using Credit Card or EFT)  followed by a visit to a to the VWS head office in Newlands to collect your race number.
There were 285 runners that completed the 10km challenge and 192 25km runners. The initial forecasts of rain turned out to be wrong and the weather was perfect, crisp, clear and practically no wind. Runners gathered in Deer Park were VWS had organised for a few stalls and the vibe was really good and exciting. The VWS guys did a wonderful job organising and managing the race. As a member of a volunteer club myslef I know how challenging it can be to put events together.
The 25km run started first - on time followed by the 10km hopefuls. Exactly on time.


As for the race course itself. It was mostly Jeep track to accommodate such a large group of runners, which is understandable. I did wish for more single track. I am also not too keen on 'there and back' routes for trail runs. It is difficult to manage and possibly prone ot collisions as runners select the right track to run on without necessarily looking up! The 25km course also joined the 10km course for that section. But my biggest complain was the ascent. But that is all my fault - not enough base fitness and leg strength to carry my up some serious (for me!) climbs. Damn, at one stage I thought to myself: why didn't they just set the course in a 50 floor building and get us to run up the stairs!

All that aside, the route was really beautiful. Overlooking Cape Town in the mroning from our wonderful mountain. Some loverly stream crossings - you could get your feet wet or use the stepping stones. And with tough ascents come thrilling descents!


My trusty Garmin Forerunner 305 had the course at 9.94km which is good enough for me to call it at 10km. This was my second race of 2012 and I was a little disappointed. My time was 1 hour and 6min (on my Garmin) and 1 hour 9min according to the race results. My first race was too fast at 5:52 min/km so I should be happier with the 6:41min/km but I felt more beat up at the end. I need to plan my training better and improve core and leg strength. Then again maybe I should stop over thinking and just enjoy the run! Go here to see my race details on my RunningAhead journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment